Beren (beren_writes) wrote,

Non-US self-pubs needing tax numbers - this is the easy way.

Did this today so had to share. Half of you probably already know all this, but for those that don't, here you go.

So, self-pubs, have you tried to get an ITIN (Individual Tax Identification Number) - absolutely a nightmare yes.

Guess what, you don't need one. What you need is an EIN (Employers Identification Number) that a nice person will give you over the phone! No need for forms or photo ID or anything like that.

For info read this: - because this is how easy it is.
Then this: - because it is much more detailed and has lots of useful info. It also tells you how to fill in the W8-BEN form as well. (P.S. the phone menu has changed, this post says hit 2 for EIN, it's 3 now).

If you don't have a company, you just give them your own name when they ask if there is a company.

I got the feeling on the phone that the lovely lady I spoke to had fielded a lot of these calls lately. So much easier! It took me ten mins on the phone, that's all. Then you fill in the W8-BEN forms for everywhere you want to be paid from and post them.

This entry was originally posted at
Tags: info: ebooks, info: publishing

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.