Many people seemed to agree with me when it came to The Lost Boys, but I don't expect as many to agree with me on this one. It's all to do with my own personal loves when it comes to tropes.
My favourite vampire movie is *drum roll* (please be aware there are spoilers below the cut):
[Find out my choice below the cut]Underworld.
I love this film for many, many reasons.
- There is equal opportunities nakedness (i.e. it's not just the girls who take their clothes off).
- Selene totally kicks arse and I've always liked Kate Beckinsale.
- Scott Speedman (Michael) is gorgeous (okay so several of these reasons are rather shallow ;))
- Vampires vs werewolves - how can it be wrong?
- The vampire hierarchy is really well done.
- Bill Nighy is brilliant as Viktor.
- I love the fact that Michael spends most of the movie going WTF and being lost in the whole mess.
- I also love the fact that Michael spends a good percentage of the movie chained up (yep, we're back to the shallow).
- The effects are beautifully done.
- And this is the one that really swings it, because it is one of my all time favourite tropes: Halfbreed, they did the halfbreed thing and that just makes me all kinds of happy.
- Blade II
- Blade Trinity
- Frank Langella's Dracula
- Bram Stoker's Dracula
- Dracula 2000 (or 2001 depending on where it was released)
- Near Dark
- John Carpenter's Vampires