Beren (beren_writes) wrote,

Tax hoops

Wow, I think I may have actually figured out how to apply for my ITIN (Individual Tax Payer Number - US) ... with it Amazon and Torquere won't have to keep 30% of the royalties.

I can actually send my passport in which is good. I figure it's cheaper to risk the real thing and maybe lose it in the post, than have to pay to get it photocopied and notorised and legalised etc - which is ironic. [Edit and by lose in the post, I mean send it special delivery to minimise the possibility - that I don't mind splashing out on. What I object to is paying someone £70 for photocopying my passport and signing it, then paying even more to have it legalised. One of the agents who could do the whole submitting for me wanted £450 to do it - one form and some photocopying!]

The form is tricky, but the create space website helped with that - others have been through the same pain.

Now all I need is the letter from Torquere saying I need an ITIN :). Didn't know I needed that until I saw the small print on the how to fill in the form instructions.

Why is everything so complicated?

You know what was really frustrating? I phoned the US Embassy in London - IRS department, and they put me in a queue - not a problem, except it only let it go round twice and then cut the line! How are you supposed to get through if they won't let you wait?
Tags: info: book writing

  • Post a new comment


    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.