Large mixing bowl
medium mixing bowl
Two to three baking trays
Measuring equipment (baking is a science rather than an art so you'll need to measure)
Electric hand mixer
spatula (not vital, but makes life much easier)
250g/9oz plain flour
400g/14oz sugar (caster)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
180ml/6 fl oz water
1 tsp vanilla extract
115g/4oz dark chocolate
150g/5oz butter (softened)
250g/9oz icing sugar
2 tbl spns cocoa powder
2 tspns hot water
1. Preheat the over to 180C/350F/Gas 4
2. Place bun cases in the bun tins
3. Put the sugar, baking powder, bicarb and butter in the large bowl and cream together (start with a wooden spoon and then go with the whisk)
4. Melt the chocolate in the medium bowl (either over hot but not boiling water in a saucepan or in the microwave).
5. Add the water, eggs, milk, vanilla and melted chocolate to the large bowl
6. Beat the mixture using the electric whisk on low for about 30 secs (to mix everything together) and then on high for about 2 mins so it is light and fluffy.
7. Using the teaspoons, put the mixture into the bun cases (about two teaspoons full in each).
8. Bake in the oven for 20-25 mins (my oven did it in 20 mins)
9. Take out and place on a wire wrack to cool
10. To make the icing, put the butter and icing sugar in a large bowl and cream together (begin with a spoon and then go with the whisk)
11. In a cup mix the cocoa and the hot water (it will just make the cocoa slightly damp, not wet) – make sure to mix well
12. Add the cocoa to the butter and sugar mix and combine using the whisk, keep whisking until light and fluffy.
13. Put the icing into a piping bag and pipe over the cooled cup cakes (you can spoon it on if you don't have a piping bag)
14. Sprinkle randomly with petty edible things :)