This is the second repost from my Tasha's Thinkings blog, the original went out today.
The Patreon About Section
The Joys of Patreon #2
- Make sure everyone reading knows who you are and what you're doing on Patreon, so introduce yourself properly.
- Don't make it sound like you are a charity case, you're asking for patrons and you are giving them value in return, this is important. The section called "Don't use needy language" is very eye opening.
- Keep it concise - get the message across completely, but quickly - readers have a limited attention span.
Write long, edit short.
Hence I started with a brain dump of everything I thought prospective patrons might need to know. It was long and repetitive and full of a whole load of information that was entirely unnecessary.
For example, my intro paragraph started off at 80 words - by the time I was done, it was at 35.
- Hello, this is me (1 line of greeting, and 1 paragraph [35 wds])
- This is why I am here with preemptive thank you (1 paragraph [55 wds])
- This is what I am offering (1 section of bullet points) - this section doesn't need to be too detailed, because that's what the tiers are for (which will be a whole other post).
- Thank you (1 line)
One thing I always do on projects like this, just in case, is copy everything to a Google doc. We never can tell when something might go tits up and accidentally delete all our hard work, so never forget a backup.
And that's that! No doubt I will make tweaks after leaving it for a while, but I think I am almost there. I look forward to showing it to everyone when I am ready to launch. Still thinking about how to do an intro vid to go with it.
Anyone have any tips for the about section? How would you go about selling your skills?