The full amount will serve ~3 as a main dish and 4 as a side. I made it and then froze half and we had it as a side dish with some chicken - it was lovely.
- 250g macaroni (it says that's 4 cups cooked on this site)
- 250g strong cheese (2 cups grated) - I used mature cheddar
- 250ml/1 cup evaporated milk
- 2 large eggs
- grating of nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the macaroni until tender as instructed on the packet.
- Mix the cheese, milk, eggs and nutmeg together in a bowl. If you didn't buy the cheese pre-grated (I know, pre-grated is lazy, but so easy) then you can pop everything in the food processor and whizz it all up together. No need for hand grating unless you have to.
- Drain the pasta and put it back in the saucepan.
- Add the other ingredients and mix, add salt and pepper to taste (be aware the cheese is relatively salty so you won't need much of that).
- Now I let mine cool down now because I made it in advance (and pasta is better for you reheated or cold)
- When ready to eat, pre-heat the oven to 220C/428F/7Gas or 210C/410F Fan assisted
- Put the mixture into a shallow, oven proof dish.
- Cook the macaroni cheese for 10-15 mins until browning slightly (it only took mine 10 mins). If you cook it too long it will go dry, so ere on the side of caution. Mine was nowhere near as browned as the image above, but it was colouring gently.
- Eat :D
This entry was originally posted at http://beren-writes.dreamwidth.org/301943.html.